Saturday, January 17, 2009

The First Outdoor Run



I debated all early afternoon.

Pros:
1. 20 degrees with beautiful snowflakes falling to the ground.
2. Snow covered trails
3. sunlight filtering through trees
4. a sweaty wool long-sleeve shirt
5. striding out down a gradual incline
6. the euphoric feeling of getting that second wind and feeling capable of running for several days

Cons:
1. those snowflakes are actually falling to the ground horizontally, aka it's windy
2. the trails will have X-county ski rutts, and every skier is going to remind me that snowshoers and runners are not allowed on the ski trail
3. the sun goes down awfully early these days. It's difficult to see the trail in flat light
4. then I've got to wash it and hang dry it; all without my wife's help
5. my hamstring is going to kill going down hills (a soreness from last night's double header soccer games)
6. the fact is I'm so out of shape that even if I run every day, I won't be experiencing that euphoric second wind until March.

It's crazy. Something just snapped, and I was putting on running clothes, filling the Camelbak bladder, and counting out salt pills.

I'm still out of shape, but it was a great run up at William O'Brien State Park. The outer loop: 6.5 miles in 1:14:00. Nothing exceptional, except that it was one more time when the con list was overcome by the pros of trail running.

1 comment:

David Ray said...

Sometimes it's best not to think about it too much. Just go. Sounds like a great day to run outside.