It is time to think about the Annual Full Moon Frozen River Run, the 16 mile run on the St. Croix River from Marine on St. Croix to Stillwater – at night. This annual tradition dates back to 2010. That first year, we had 11 runners, including Helen Scotch, Pete Grimes Chris Schwenke, Matt Hudachek, Mike Johnson, Jeff Hainlen, Hank Gray (who has run every year we’ve held it!!), my wife Marty, Christian and Shawn Tracy (here’s a link: http://buttonrunning.blogspot.com/2010/01/full-moon-river-run_31.html). Last year, we had 17 runners for one of the coldest events yet, and one of the most frightening episodes yet, involving Kyle Palmer.
This year, my schedule precludes me from running during the January full moon, so…
Here are the details:
The run will be either February 7, 8 or 15. I would like to hear from some of you about your availability before I set the date.
We will meet at either my house or my office in Stillwater at 8:30pm. We will begin running by 9:30pm. I will email my address to those interested in running.
• Marine on St Croix to Stillwater, on the frozen St. Croix River; 16 miles. One way.
• We’ll run north for the first two miles, then return south toward Stillwater.
• Running Surface: the river usually has snow on it. There is a wide snow mobile highway on the river. Snow mobile tracks are well-worn and 90% hard-packed. The snow mobile tracks provide a wide variety of textures so runners can find the track that suits their desire.
• Plenty of opportunity to jump out of snowmobile tracks and try running in fresh snow.
• half-way aid station with warm water and soup. Runners can drop here or join here to run only the second half.
Average pace of 8 min/miles to 15 min/miles.
Runners end up spread out along the river by mile 5
Self-sustained run. Bring your own water and food.
Cold weather running gear.
We are looking for someone interested in crewing for the runners by driving and running the half-way aid station.