Monday, October 12, 2009

Scanning

Wow. I'm blogging about my new scanner. I would have never guessed.

For the past 11 months, I have been reading emails and reviews about, listening to other attorneys talk about, and even went to a CLE about scanning documents in order to become a "paperless" office.

Truly "paperless" means that one keeps no paper documents in one's office. Get a document? Scan it, electronically file it, and then shred it. No physical files, no file cabinets, no piles of files around the office.

I'm such a tactile person, that when I first heard about a paperless office, I decided it was not for me. "If Julian Zweber isn't paperless, I don't need to be paperless."

But my office is already filling up with files filled with paper. Former client files are occupying more space than I expected.

For the past 6 months, I've been reading about and researching scanners in the event that 1) I decided to go over to the dark side, and 2) I had some extra business money to buy a scanner.
Both came together last week. I ordered the Fujitsu Scansnap S1500m.

My life has already changed. I've begun at home. Paper files are disappearing. I might not be more organized, but I feel like I am!

And it's so easy. The paper glides through the beautifully crafted scanner (it looks like an Apple product) so quickly that it's done before I can get my hand back to the keyboard.

So, now I begin in the office. I've decided that I am not going completely paperless. I need some folders around to feel like an attorney. But, the process has begun, and I'm looking forward to saving a few trees. Actually, I'm still a little perplexed at how all this scanning and shredding actually helps the planet, but maybe there'll be a tax write off.

No comments: