Wednesday, December 31, 2008

It's Time To Start Running

I've taken a running break these past few months. It's been good. I've missed running.
It seems like it's time to start up again, though. This year, I'd like to run a little differently than last.

Last year, Pete and I ran just over 26.2 miles every Monday morning. Pete often ran on other days as time allowed. I did not. For me, it was a great way to balance running, family and school.

I ran several more ultra races in 2008 than in 2007. I also attempted two 100 milers. One was Leadville where I again made it to Winfield. This year was faster, but the thought of going back up over Hope Pass defeated me again.

The other was during the Twin Cities Marathon weekend in which we did a 50 miler the day before, I ran from my house to St. Paul in the wee hours of the morning before the marathon, and then ran the marathon. The problem was that it rained during the marathon, I got too cold, and dropped at mile 13.

This year, I would like to:
• run more night runs. Start at 10pm and get back home around 4am.
• run a little more on the road so I'm not limited to finding trails.
• run more 50K and 50 mile races. Marty reminds me that immediately after Leadville I had better judgment than currently. After Leadville I emphatically stated that I need to complete a non-altitude 100 miler before attempting Leadville again. I'm not as emphatic these days. You see, the Leadville registration came in the mail this week! And...my loving wife actually brought it into the house rather than throwing it in the trash before I could see it.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I like your thoughts about training for 2009, Joel. You might try running the Kettle 100 this June for a non-altitude century. That will be my first attempt and it's a well- run and well-stocked course. Drop me an e-mail anytime you want to go out for a long run. Best wishes to you and your family for a happy new year. I hope everyone has recovered now from that awful stomach flu that hit you all.